Thursday, May 1, 2008

Writers Workshop Story

The first time

Written by Nicole Anderson

8th hour Writers Workshop class

My foot beat a rapid tattoo onto the dirty tiles as I checked my watch for the third time.

“Almost time, just a few more minutes.” I muttered, and sighed as I sipped my Pepsi. It was a cold, brisk day in March, and school was out for Easter. The plans had started out simple and innocent enough.

I had been seeing Jake Lee for almost three months now, and though he lived in a different state, we had become closer than I had ever thought possible. So it only seemed logical to meet at the soonest interval, which happened to be over break. The plan was originally that I was to go see him, but my grandmother’s illness prevented my travels, so he abruptly changed plans to make it so that he would come and see me.

“Don’t worry, dear.” He told me over the phone. “Things will be all right.” The unspoken ‘I Hope’ still hung between us, but we gaily made our plans. He would be flying into Minneapolis, and from there renting a car to drive all the way to my little blurb on the map. The plan was to meet in an open space, and maybe get to know each other as physical people instead of just a voice or a few letters on a computer screen.

The bell tinkled again, making the adrenaline rush and my head jerk up in anticipation. But, as before, it was only one of the many local patrons.

“Refill, Sweetie?” the waitress Julie asked, casting me a sympathetic look. I smiled and nodded, thinking that I would probably have to go to the bathroom before the hour was over. She took my cup and refilled it, giving me a new straw as well, since I had shredded the one I was using into useless bits of plastic. To my surprise, she sat down across from me and smiled.

“Waiting for your man, I’m guessin?” she said sweetly, and I relaxed a little, giving her a tentative smile.

“Yeah, he’s coming here all the way from Missouri. He’ll be spending the week here with me before leaving again.” Julie nodded in understanding, and glanced back as the door opened again, grinning.

“Well I think your wait’s over, sugar. Here comes a sweet looking thang if you ask me.” I jerked my head up just in time to see him. Jake. He glanced around the room, and, finally spotting me, grinned as he walked over.

“Mind if I join you ladies?” he asked. The waitress grinned at me and stood, patting my shoulder as she disappeared into the kitchen. I was left alone with him for the first time.

Still grinning, he held out his arms for a hug. I sheepishly stood, and hugged him tight for the first time. It was brief, but well meant. He sat across from me and lounged in the booth, while I made myself smaller on my side. We sat in silence for awhile, just looking at each other.

“So….” he said, and I giggled, remembering our phone conversations. The waitress came back and we ordered our food, and I again got another round of Pepsi. I suddenly became self conscious: did my hair look right? Were my clothes too tight? How was my breath? Oh, gosh, would it be rude for me to go to the bathroom?

He must have sensed my distress, because suddenly I felt my pocket vibrate. It was a text message from him.

“Relax, love. I’m here.” We looked at each other and smiled. The tension faded, and conversation, laughter, and Pepsi flowed freely.

That was the first time I’ve ever met my boyfriend, Jake Lee. Looking back, we laugh about it now, how silly it was. But I know that on our next meeting it’ll be similar, just not as uptight. That night was one that will be etched in our minds forever. The night that we met for the first time.